Things might be a bit challenging and hard for you at first in this world of specially abled children. Do not worry! You will soon get used to it, and not only that you will love it! The key to being successful in this profession, is to keep enough patience.
Some Important Tips
- Interact with the child and be flexible with him/her. Don’t just overburden with things onto his/her head. First introduce yourself politely, and tell the child why you are connected to each other. Always keep things interesting and engaging for the child. Be aware of sensory overload and be consistent. Don’t ask the child way too many questions, especially the ones he/she hates, and refuses to answer. This in turn would make you have negative thoughts about the outcomes of your hard work.
- The role of a special educator at special education schools in Kolkata is to observe the peculiarities of behaviours exhibited by the child. Also, observe in which field the child is interested in, as many children with Autism have the tendency to develop a fixation on things that interest them the most, and hence, tend to be passive while learning things beyond their point of interest.
- Have a plan, and a back-up plan. If plan A fails to produce outcomes, then go for plan B, and if possible, a plan C as well. In the world of special education, nothing generally works if you abide by one particular rule or follow a particular method. You have to keep many options open. And most importantly, bring about innovations in your teaching process. It will help improve the outcomes of your work.
- An ideal special educator at special education schools in Kolkata must always BE POSITIVE. Optimism is the single-most important quality for anyone who works with children with special needs. Never lose hope. If you do, then so would the child, which is even worse.
- Begin by engaging the child in drawing or painting on a vertical plane. Also, engage the child in activities like squeezing something soft, such as a Play-Doh or a stress ball. This will help to develop the muscles of the child, especially in the hand and the wrist.
- Being a dutiful special educator at special education schools in Kolkata, try teaching with visual props, like making colourful charts, notes, page marks, attractive images and diagrams, charts, etc. make the child think in pictures, rather than words which are often quite boring for most of them. While teaching words, always associate each of them with a relevant picture. This process of teaching will not only be effective and help the child to remember things easily, but is very enjoying for him/her.
- Be creative! Invent innovative teaching techniques that will be interesting for the child and help him or her grasp things quickly.
- Being a responsible special educator at special education schools in Kolkata, your duty is to teach at the child’s pace. Never rush things as it will confuse the child more and make him or her nervous. Look for signs of frustration or fatigue. If you find any, stop! Make things fun and interesting for the child, and not a burden. Learning is a fun process. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Offer alternate means of communication. Most special children are unable to express themselves in the same way as their peers. Studies show that upto 1/3rd of children with Autism are nonverbal. So teaching them is a lot more challenging. So engage them in more interesting modes of communication. Make the most of your child’s interests.
Hence, the role of a responsible special educator at special education schools in Kolkata is to take great care and to keep the above suggestions in mind working with special children.